Monday, December 5, 2016

Make-A-List Monday - It's Beginning To Look a Lot Like Christmas!


Hi, all!

Are you getting in the Christmas spirit yet?  It's getting so close, and there's so much to do between now and then - but it's important to take a few minutes each day to just B-R-E-A-T-H-E!!  Sit back, enjoy your surroundings, and realize that, as the Grinch learned, Christmas is a more than all the stuff we do to celebrate it!  Then get back to work - LOL!

Here's how last week's list went...


1.  Finish Nathanael's quilt.
Done!  I'm so happy - all three quilts are labeled, washed, dried, and ready to be wrapped up!  I haven't taken pictures of Nathanael's quilt yet - it was really cloudy today - but I'll be sharing it on Friday.


2.  Bind nine quilts for the quilt ministry.
Done!  I actually did the binding on eleven, if you count the ones I did at church!


3.  Order fabric for a special project.
Done!  I hope it gets here in time to make it up for Christmas, but I'm not holding my breath...

4.  Start working on three t-shirt commission quilts.
I started deconstructing the t-shirts today!  Hooray!

5.  Clean up my studio a little bit!
What was I thinking?  This ain't happening in December...

6.  Keep up with any quilt ministry needs that come up.
Done!  We did give away a few quilts this week...


This quilt went to a young mom just diagnosed with a brain tumor...


...and this one went to a woman whose cancer has recurred.


This quilt went to another woman whose cancer has come back again...


...and this one went to an elderly woman just diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer.


The next two quilts went to sisters who are going through a tough emotional time...



...and this quilt went to their mother.




This quilt went to a little girl who will be having surgery this week...


These two quilts went to twin girls who were born prematurely...


...and this quilt went to their mom, who is facing more surgery this week.

And these are the twenty-four placemats and napkins we made to be given to the shut-ins our church delivers dinner to each Wednesday night!



Whew!  That's a lot of quilty love going out!

This week I really need to focus on getting some commission pieces done.  I've got three due by Christmas and three more by New Year's Eve - that's really stressing me out!!  So here's my list for this week...

1.  Make three beach blankets (commission job).

2.  Make the t-shirt blocks for three commission t-shirt quilts.

3.  Sort through my stash of Christmas presents and figure out what else I need to get.

4.  Research sewing with real fur for a commission request. (If anyone has any tips, I'd love to hear them!)

5.  Keep up with any quilt ministry needs that come up.

This feels like a short list, but if I can get all of it done, I will feel so-o-o-o much better!!  

So now the question is - - - what are YOU working on this week?

Hugs!

Sarah

10 comments:

  1. beautiful quilts. You amaze me with all your accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just plow right thru those lists without break a sweat!!! Fur needs to be cut from the back so you don't harm the hair. And if possible , trim away what you can from the 1/4" seam area on each edge (baby finger nail snips work great). Use a tooth brush to 'brush' the hairs in the seam to loosen them for a nice lay. Wear a mask - you don'/t want to breath the lose hair - and vacuum inbetween to clear out - you will itch - gloves will help your hands if you get itchy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. too many things at once like usual LOL - I will try to get a queen size quilt machine quilted this week to get it out of my way! I do not like machine quilting so we will see if I can get it done by the weekend :) I would really like to start the new year off with some of these quilts finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I love seeing all the quilty love you pass around. So generous! And the placemats are such a sweet heartfelt touch to dinner delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ministry quilts, beautiful, and I hope they give out all the love and care that is stitched into them .What a week. Down here, secret sewing has been posted, and now to catch up with some things that have waited, lingered or languished for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilt ministry is certainly a blessing to all who receive the quilts. I thin it is wonderful you've made placemats for the meal recipients. That will really make them feel remembered.
    I finished sewing the center for a quilt but probably won't get anymore sewing done this week. Too much other stuff going on. Hopefully I'll get some prep work done on it though. Hope you are able to cross off the items on your list. Blessings, Gretchen villacrestfarm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know how you do it. Sure wish I could get as much done as you do. I hope to get some sewing done tonight but am not holding my breath. I have angel ornaments to finish up. I want to do some more snowflake ones but those might not get done. Plus I have to quilt my Santa table runner, that may have to wait until the weekend. I still have to decorate the house for Christmas too. Haven't even started that yet. Happy Stitching!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've done a little hand stitching this week and replaced a zipper in a DH beloved fleece jacket...not my favorite thing to do ;-)
    Following your lead though :-) I was able to give a pretty lap size quilt that I finished this past year to a woman in our church with recurring breast cancer. She has surgery today and I'm praying they can get it all out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful batch of ministry quilts this week! Wasn't it just last week that you didn't give out any? This week sort of made up for that, I think.

    Do you happen to know the name of the pattern on that first ministry quilt, going to the young woman with a brain tumor?

    This week's goals are to quilt a retirement gift quilt, and start placemats as an engagement gift for my nephew. Probably some completely unknown project will leap into my brain, too, as I keep cleaning up the quilt room :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The needle you use is important. You will need a leather needle to sew that stuff. It makes a small slit, instead of just a tiny hole. Much easier for the thread. Stitch slowly, not fast.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!